Monday 6 October 2014

64. 100m Butterfly

Event: 100m Butterfly
Date: 3rd October 2014
Location: London Aquatics Centre, Stratford
Cost: £4.50
Rules: Competitors swim two lengths of butterfly as fast as possible. Athletes dive in, and some part of the swimmer must touch the wall at the end of each length and at the finish. Most will touch the wall and push off with their feet.

The Event:



Times:

Olympic Gold Medal London 2012: 55.98, Dana Vollmer, USA.
Sarah: 4:18.38 
Ellie: 3:50.26

Comments:  
Sarah: After a very early start and very hectic day in the office, the fact we even made it to the pool deserves a gold medal. We had to fight hard against the more appealing pull of loads of wine. But, like all proper athletes we put our training first and made it to the pool (postponing loads of booze until after the swim - again, just like proper athletes). I wish I could blame my slow time on tiredness, but I can't: I just don't get butterfly! We've done lots of practice, but I'm obviously not doing it right, as I just don't get anywhere. I seem to mainly go up and down and waste lots of energy rather than glide along in a more effective forwards movement. I love swimming, but this stroke just isn't for me! I'm looking forward to getting the 200m and 400m medley events out the way, and never having to do butterfly again!     

Ellie: Forcing water up ones nose does not seem like the most efficient way to get from one end of the pool to the other but, unless I'm doing it wrong, that seems to be the butterfly method. It's. So. Hard. I haven't been able to gain any momentum with this stroke in practice and this evening was no different; I think it was brute force that got me from one end to the other. I was super aware of others in my lane and at one point had the feeling that the lifeguard might get in and rescue me just to save me from the embarrassment. I'm not going to be defeated though as this is by far the most impressive/smug/irritating stroke to see people doing and I want to be part of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment