Sunday 14 August 2016

112. 800m Freestyle

Event: 800m Freestyle 
Date: 10th August 2016 
Location: London Aquatics Centre
Cost: £4.50 each
Rules:  Competitors swim 16 lengths of freestyle as fast as possible. Some part of the swimmer must touch the wall at the end of each length and at the finish. 

   
The Event: 

Times:
Olympic Gold Medal London 2012: 8:14.63, Katie Ledecky, USA.
Sarah: 29:00.00 
Ellie: 26:20.00

Comments:  
Sarah: Our final trip to the Olympic pool for the Challenge, and it was a big one; the 800m Freestyle. We both decided to give warm ups a miss and just get on with it. We dove in and got stuck in for the next half hour. At points I felt like I was pretty much stationary, and I kept getting preoccupied by a niggling pain in my hand. Otherwise, I'm not sure what I was thinking about; mainly trying to concentrate on keeping my breathing even and not bashing in to other swimmers. I'm pleased coming in under 30 minutes, and can't quite believe we're now done with the swimming! 
          
Ellie: That's our final swimming event ticked off and, for some reason, it feels like a particular mile stone. I've loved swimming all my life and this was a great event to finish on. it's a significant distance but easily achievable in an evening. I feel really powerful in the water - my size and my disability don't effect me as much as on dry land and I can feel the progress I'm making. I seemed to be in the zone tonight and I'm super proud of my time. I even got to change into the medium speed lane which I've never done before!

No comments:

Post a Comment